My biggest beauty struggle is, without question, foundation. I have yet to find a foundation I am 100%, or even 90% happy with. There are many things that make it difficult for me to be satisfied with the results foundations give me. First off is my skin tone. I am quite fair. Now thankfully, in the years since I first began this blog, the number of brands offering fair foundation shades has increased dramatically. Where it used to be the norm for there not to be a single shade offered in a foundation launch that would match me, now I usually don’t have an issue finding a decent shade match. Undertones of course can pose a problem, but depth of colour wise there is usually a shade light enough, if not several to choose from. Heck I’m sometimes not even the lightest shade anymore! Thank goodness for this change. Now if only we can get more beauty brands to expand their deepest shade offerings as well!
The second, and most predominant issue, is my dry skin. My skin is very dry and dehydrated. I need a foundation that doesn’t exacerbate that dryness. Foundation also always seems to break apart/disappear on my chin and nose areas where my skin is driest. Now combine this with the fact that I have deep creases around my nose and down my laugh lines and you run into problems. Most hydrating and more luminous foundations also tend to migrate. I always end up with foundation settled around my nose and in my nasolabial lines.
OK I said the last issue was my most predominant one but you know what, I have a feeling my pickiness is probably my biggest issue. I am the kind of person that expects my makeup to look perfect from an inch away. I need a decent amount of coverage to deal with my hyperpigmentation and redness, yet I don’t want to really see my foundation. Tall order I know!
Here are some new foundation launches that I’m anxious to try. If you have thoughts on any of these new formulas, and how they might suit my skin, I’d love to hear them!
- Shiseido Synchro Skin Glow Luminizing Fluid Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 30 ($45 US) – Glow? Luminizing? This foundation sounds like a dream for me. It is formulated to synchronize to both your skintone and your hydration levels.
- Clé de Peau Beauté Radiance Stick Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 17 ($95 US) – This foundation only comes in three shades, so that may be an issue, but this stick foundation is supposed to have a water light feel and dewy finish. Sounds heavenly.
- Giorgio Armani Power Fabric Foundation ($64 US) – I can thank Brianna Stanko for my new obsession with this foundation. I probably shouldn’t be lusting after a matte finish, long wear foundation, as they typically don’t play well with dry skin types, but it’s touted as being non dulling and non cracking so I have a good feeling about it for some reason.
- Kevyn Aucoin Beauty ‘The Etherealist’ Skin Illuminating Foundation ($58 US) – This is a moisture packed serum foundation and is meant to be luminous, radiant, and hydration boosting. Yes please!
- La Mer Soft Fluid Foundation SPF 20 ($110 US) – This launch isn’t as new as the other but I have been obsessed with the idea of trying this foundation since it launched in the Fall. I have heard so many rave reviews. Maybe I just need to suck it up and make the 2+ hour drive to the closest counter so I can try a sample.
So what are my current favourite foundations? Well probably my all time favourite is the Face Atelier Ultra Foundation. This is the foundation I carry in my kit and it looks amazing on basically everyone. I have no idea why I haven’t invested in a full size bottle for myself. This should probably be top of my to do list! I also really love the Urban Decay Naked Skin Foundation, I am quite enjoying the Dior Diorskin Airflash Spray Foundation I recently picked up, and the new Vichy Teint Idéal Foundations have both been working out really well for me. Which reminds me, I still need to get my review up about those! Tarte Rainforest of the Sea Water and the MAKE UP FOR EVER Ultra HD foundations (stick and liquid) are all quite good options for me as well, and are in regular rotation.
Shop the post:
Please tell me what your favourite foundations for dry skin are! Have you tried any of my new lusts? Do you want to?