I don’t know why I have held onto these photos of the a-england Gothic Beauties Collection for so long. I had ordered this collection months, and months ago. I guess maybe because I didn’t have the same enthusiasm for this collection as I have for other a-england polishes.
I knew prior to ordering, (from reading reviews), that with the exception of Dorian Grey this collection looked mostly black unless in strong lighting. I guess I stubbornly wanted to believe that the subtle nuances of colour from the shimmer would be more evident. You can see however from my photographs that even in the strongest of direct sunlight the shimmer is still very subtle. When in normal lighting conditions these nail lacquers will indeed appear primarily black on the nail.
- Dorian Grey – an intensely sinister pewter grey, forged with a forgiving deep golden shimmer.
- Ophelia – the ebony of her tortured soul, infused with the salvation of its glimmering violet core.
- Jane Eyre – intensely smouldering crimson embers, imprisoned in a veil of sombre black.
- Lady of Shallott – a captive and ethereally beautiful sapphire heart, shrouded in a blackened curse.
- Tess D’Urbervilles – like the secretive black of a deep forest, sublimely displaying its provocative emerald secrets.
Sorry I only have nail wheel swatches for you as opposed to actual manicures.
I also found this formula a little more difficult to work with. I didn’t really notice mention of it in the reviews I read, so maybe it is just my bottles, but the formula was much thicker than I was used to from a-england. Usually their polishes have the perfect consistency that is thin, but not too thin, and usually opaque in one coat. I found that these were on the thick side and for the most part needed two coats for an even finish. Not that that is a bad thing, most polishes require two coats, I just didn’t find the formula to be as extraordinarily exceptional as is the usual from a-england.
In the UK you can order direct from the a-england website for £9. In Canada they are available at Nail Polish Canada ($13.50 CAD). You can use their where to buy feature to find retailers around the world.
Leave a Reply